Sunday, November 23, 2008

early bird's driver's license

There is almost no public transport in Dammam-Khobar. If you live in the middle of the city, you may easily find taxis to move around. But if you live in the outskirts, like I do, you cannot do without a car. And to drive a car, you need of course a Saudi driver's license. So, early this morning I turned up at the driving school in Khobar. Judging from the crowd there, it seemed half of Khobar was also there, and the other half was probably on its way, given that it was not yet 7 am.

I was in a state of confusion. I don't speak Arabic, and the few fellow South Asians I found within talking distance didn't speak either English or my language. So I headed for the door of the room from where I had collected the application form a few days back. A WASP was standing there with his snout almost pressed against the door to ensure that he would be the first to enter and the first to be served once it opened. I asked him if I was supposed to handover my filled in form in that room. He tilted his snout a few degrees upwards and asked whether I had gone through the driving test. I didn't think it mattered, but anyway, I said I hadn't. He said the room full of people had passed the test and had come to get their licenses and that somebody would soon hand out a token to all those seated. If I couldn't find myself a seat I need not bother waiting. I didn't get my answer, but thanked him anyway.

When the door opened, the WASP was indeed the first to get in and I followed soon afterwards. I took an instant eye test and was dispatched to the driving school for the test. Since I had a license from my (South Asian) country I am required to pass a parallel parking and a computerized road signs test. If you have a European or US license, you don't need that.

At the school I was told to come back tomorrow at 6 am for the test. Sigh! I have to get up at the crack of dawn once again!

2 comments:

tipu bhaia said...

I feel thrilled to be the first one to post a comment on alibaba's blog. As long as Alibaba keeps on enjoying his surroundings, I am sure, I will be enjoying this blog too.

AliBaba said...

Congratulations on being the first the first to post a comment on this site! Thank you for your comments.