Saturday, February 20, 2010

jurassic night at scitech

There is a nice science museum at Khobar Corniche. Like most important landmarks in the Kingdom, it's named after a royal figure: Prince Sultan Bin Abdulaziz Science and Technology Center (aka Scitech). The 35,000 square ft. facility is a nice, modern building housing an IMAX theatre and a number of galleries. Currently it's hosting an exhibition on dinosaurs, so I took the kids for a visit last evening. They were thrilled to see the big moving and roaring monsters and the replica of a T. Rex skeleton. The permanent exhibits were also interesting, most of them interactive with bilingual explanations and descriptions. My younger son, the more adventurous of the two, and I posed with a live snake, about a meter-and-a-half long, for a photograph. It's a nice place to spend an evening with the family. The gift shop and cafeteria were disappointing, though.

A bonus attraction last night was a street performance in front of the Museum by a Saudi dance troupe.

3 comments:

Shaari1 said...

There is an actual museum in Khobar? How wonderful! I need to go see this! I was told the only museum was the Aramco one in Dharan. Where is it, exactly?

AliBaba said...

@Shaari1, if you drive along Prince Turki Road towards Le Meridien from, say, Jarir Bookstore, turn right at the intersection with Pepsi Cola Road, drive along the Corniche Road for about 2.5-3 km and you'll see the museum on your left. Take a u-turn to reach there.

Coordinates: 26°19'8"N 50°13'41"E

Shaari1 said...

Once you posted directions, I now know why I didn't know about it. I'm limited to shanks mare, as I don't have a car here. I find the driving to be insane, and would rather pay a taxi the 10 or 15 SR to get somewhere. That, and I don't plan to stay in Saudi long enough to need a car.

I'm trying to see if I can go with a colleague or two. Thanks for letting me know about it!