Saturday, April 18, 2009

happy new year!

Mid-April marked the beginning of the Bengali year 1416. Last Wednesday there was a small party in Dammam attended by Bengalis from both Bangladesh and India. The program was held inside a compound and we had dances, music and recitation of poetry. I was told to either sing or read a poem. I opted for the latter because that would be a lesser torment for the audience. We had a sumptuous feast--biriyani, tandoori chicken, beef rezala, etc. I enjoyed my first Bengali New Year in the Kingdom. On Friday, the Indian Bengalis had a day-long program at Jubail and some Bangladeshis arranged a mela (fair) at Azizya. I attended neither, but was glad to know that Bengalis here organize so many events to celebrate their culture.

Happy New Year!

2 comments:

L.U.I.S said...

happy new year !

greetings from Brazil !

AliBaba said...

Thank you. I hope some day I can visit the land of REAL samba!